Our core business is building partnerships of real depth and trust with host governments, local communities, NGOs, indigenous people, and others. At their invitation and with their support, we take their minerals out of the ground, and, in so doing, create wealth for all.
Ataason’s Communities Policy outlines the principles that guide our engagement with communities and include:
- Identify the cultural values, traditions and beliefs of the communities and to respect and respond to those values and belief systems
- Be open and transparent in all dealings with communities and in describing and explaining potential social and environmental impacts that might occur
- Commit to developing long term partnerships that are mutually beneficial over a life of mine time scale
- Ensure that communities are fairly compensated for impacts and obtain a fair share in the benefits generated by a development
- Work to apply internationally recognised principles of best practice in all fields of endeavour
- Ataason will at all times adhere to the laws and regulations of the country in which it is operating
Ataason has developed corporate Communities Standards to harmonise our approach to community relations and social objectives. The standards will ensure that individual site programs are implemented in a more consistent way across Ataason, while continuing to draw on local knowledge and practice
Ataason has developed community development programs at each operational site and our community relations teams are responsible for building and maintaining close relationships with the local community and relevant stakeholders.