Ataason Gold is committed to building, operating, and closing our mines in a safe and responsible manner.
We make this commitment with a firm belief that our mining activities can create sustained progress and prosperity when we manage our social, economic, and environmental impacts, with our stakeholders’ interests always in mind.
To do this, we put a priority on creating mutually beneficial and long-term partnerships—between our own people, with the countries and communities where we operate, and with our shareholders.
When we get this right, we earn the trust of our partners and maintain our license to operate throughout the life of a mine. In turn, our mining activities are in the best position to create mutual and lasting prosperity for all of our partners, so that we can all advance, together.
Safety and health
• we believe that all injuries are preventable
• we continually strive to improve our health and safety management systems and practices
• we value consultation and engagement with all personnel in improving our performance
• safe behavior is a condition of employment
• we accept responsibility for the occupational health and safety of our people, and we all accept responsibility for our personal safety and health and that of others
• we provide effective training and the right equipment for people to work safely
• controlling risk and ensuring health and safety is a key part of every decision
• we promote off the job safety and support the wellness of our people
Our health and safety strategy is built on three key pillars – NewSafe, Critical Control Management, and Process Safety Management. The strategy builds on a strong foundation of group-wide systems and standards which have been implemented in recent years.
NewSafe is Ataason’s next step in building our safety culture. There are three components to NewSafe – NewSafe Leadership which focuses on building safety leadership at all levels; NewSafe Coaching which specifically supports our frontline supervisors; and NewSafe Behaviors which takes our employees and contractors through a process to identify the most important safety behaviors in their area, and uses a behavioral influencing model to formulate their own plan to enable and motivate these behaviors.
Building on a solid foundation of major hazard risk assessments which Ataason has undertaken for many years, our critical control management approach focuses on verifying the operation of the controls we have identified as being critical to preventing fatalities and life-altering injuries.
Completing our strategic approach is a continual improvement focus on Process Safety Management, an area of safety management which is primarily concerned with preventing high-consequence catastrophic events.